Content marketing is a strategic approach companies adopt to consistently create relevant content to attract and engage with existing as well as potential customers. If your company makes the right moves, content marketing can be a game changer.
You can use content marketing to provide potential customers with helpful information that addresses their needs, solves their problems, or entertains them. The goal of this marketing strategy is to gain customers’ trust and loyalty, forge a deep relationship with them, create a strong brand presence, and eventually increase sales.
In 2023, it should be a priority for you because it is an effective way to establish your brand as an authority in your industry, attract and engage potential customers, and drive conversions and sales.
Interesting Read: Digital Marketing Plan: How to Build Successful One in 2023?
Best content marketing practices to follow
|Understand audience’s pain points||Set specific content marketing goals|
|Create a yearly content calendar||Produce relevant and high-quality content|
|Optimise content for search engines||Use a lot of visual representations|
|Promote content on social media||Measure and analyse every content|
|Make mobile-friendly content||Be consistent with posting content|
Different ways to do content marketing in 2023
The reason content marketing has become popular is because over the years, several layers have been added to it making it the most versatile marketing strategy.
Irrespective of the industry you are in, you can make use of content marketing. Your content marketing strategy doesn’t mean you simply write articles on your website. There are different ways to do content marketing, and ideally, you should do almost all of them.
Let’s see what are some of the most common types of content marketing:
- Blogs: This is the low-hanging fruit and the most basic form of content marketing. However, don’t underestimate blogs – it’s a highly effective way to establish your brand as an authority in the industry. Blogging is a great way to provide valuable information to your target audience and connect with them. Blogs can be used to cover a wide variety of topics, such as industry news, product reviews, and how-to guides.
- Social Media: Social media platforms like Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and LinkedIn are powerful tools for content marketing. They can be used to share written and visual content, such as blog posts, infographics, and videos, and to interact with your target audience.
- Video content: Video marketing is a great way to engage your audience and build your brand. Videos can be used to demonstrate products, provide tutorials, and share company news and updates.
- Infographics: People love it when someone simplifies difficult concepts with graphics and pictures. That is precisely what your company should do for your customers. Infographics are a visual way to present information in an easy-to-understand format. They can be used to explain complex concepts, share statistics, and provide information on a variety of topics.
- E-books and Whitepapers: When you want to provide your users in-depth industry reports, e-books and whitepapers are the way to go. They are typically long-form content that can be used to provide detailed information on a specific topic. If you continuously produce well-researched e-books and whitepapers on interesting topics, users are going to see you as an authority, which will eventually lead to generating leads.
- Case studies: Case studies are a type of content that showcase real-life examples of how your product or service has helped other customers. They are often used to demonstrate the effectiveness of your solution and to provide social proof.
- Podcasts: Podcasts are a great way to share information on a variety of topics and to build relationships with your target audience. Podcasts are audio files that can be downloaded and listened to on the go.
Content marketing can be highly effective in driving engagement and converting leads into loyal customers. However, the effectiveness of content marketing varies depending on factors such as the quality and relevance of the content, how consistently you create content, and the distribution channels you use.
The key is to understand your audience and choose the types of content that will resonate with them the most.
Interesting Read: The Ultimate Guide to Content Marketing
Four reasons you should prioritise content marketing in 2023
As more and more consumers are spending their time online consuming content on various platforms, it makes sense for businesses to be actively present on all the platforms.
Only if you engage with customers on a regular basis and give them valuable content of different types, will they remember your brand and eventually become a customer.
Here are the four reasons why content marketing should be your priority in 2023:
- You will attract and retain customers
One of the primary objectives of a business to invest in content marketing is to gain new customers and retain existing ones. Content marketing does a really good job of it.
Since people are always ready to consume content, all you have to do is create engaging and unique content for them that’s relevant to your business and their interest.
For example, if you run an online pet store, you should create content that’s relevant for pet parents – dos and don’ts, list of veterinarian hospitals, information about food and toys that you have in your store, etc.
You should create different types of content that is entertaining such as videos of pets playing, pet bloopers, interviews with new pet parents, etc.
As you go on creating relevant and insightful content for users, you will start attracting customers. People who came to your blog just to read or watch your latest video, might eventually decide to buy something from your store.
- You will build authority and increase brand awareness
If you are able to create engaging and interesting content regularly, content marketing can elevate you as an authority figure in your industry.
When it comes to creating a compelling piece of content, first you need to find out the common ground, or the sweet spot between what people want to read and what you want to tell. Once you decide on a list of topics, you should decide which medium is the best way to tell that story.
For example, if you run a photography store and want to create a content piece on different digital cameras, a podcast is probably not the best medium for it. It’s best to create video content. You should also conduct interviews with known photographers, write articles on vintage cameras, and publish in-depth research papers.
As long as you have a content plan and are able to meet them, your brand will eventually establish itself as a thought leader and build trust with potential customers.
- You will generate high-quality leads
Since content marketing has the potential to make you a thought leader and an authority in your domain, the leads that you get from content will be of high quality. These leads would be from users who like your work and need a gentle nudge to become a customer.
Every piece of content should have a call to action (CTA) link to help consumers either get in touch with your team or purchase products from you. CTA is very important because it guides consumers on the next step to take after consuming the content.
- Improve SEO
As you post more and more content that is relevant for your customers, your business will get more visibility on the internet. Chances are that over the year, your content will start ranking on Google search results if you follow best SEO practices. This will result in people who have never heard of your company discovering your brand through your content.
High-quality and relevant content can help to improve your website’s search engine rankings and drive organic traffic to the site. This makes content marketing one of the most cost-effective ways to build relationships and drive results for your business.
One big open secret about content marketing is that your content should always put customers’ needs first. There is a famous quote by Robert Rose, chief strategist at The Content Advisory – “The key to successful content marketing is to focus on the needs of your customers, not your company.”